Terms of reference
The objective of the WG is to urgently reduce human suffering and mortality due to Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB) by assisting countries in the implementation of the MDR-TB component of the Global Plan to Stop TB 2006-2015 through:
- Assisting in implementation of programmatic management of drug-resistant TB (PMDT) as part of the Stop TB Strategy;
- Promoting worldwide universal access to effective diagnosis and appropriate treatment of MDR-TB by 2015;
- Promoting the creation of a healthy and competitive global market of quality assured second-line anti-TB drugs (SLDs)
- Ensuring the use of second-line anti-TB drugs according to WHO guidelines to prevent amplification of resistance and emergence of Extensively Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR-TB).
- Promoting the introduction of new diagnostics, new anti-TB drugs, and new vaccines through research and cooperation with other WGs
- Developing and promoting the implementation of a research agenda that supports the scale-up of programmatic management of MDR-TB and the development of new tools.
- Mobilizing sufficient resources dedicated to the above goals and all aspects of PMDT.
- Conceptualizing, developing, testing, monitoring, evaluating, advocating and supporting implementation of tools, and procedures to promote effective MDR-TB prevention and care, according to WHO policies.
The Working Group has four subgroups:
- Core Group to provide leadership and set strategic direction for the work of the WG.
- Green Light Committee to enable access to affordable, high-quality, second-line anti-TB drugs for the treatment of MDR-TB.
- Research subgroup to produce and update a prioritized research agenda, and to promote, coordinate, and guide research activities related to DR-TB.
- Subgroup on Drug Management to help ensure an adequate supply of quality-assured SLDs for the treatment of MDR-TB patients.
Click here to download a copy of the complete Terms of Reference