The fourth Core Group (CG) meeting of the Global Drug-resistant TB Initiative (GDI) was held on 1 December 2015 in Capetown, South Africa. All members (bar 1) of the CG, attended the meeting, along with observers from the Global Laboratory Initiative (GLI), Global TB Drugs Facility (GDF), Global Fund (GF), USAID, and Leaders of the GDI Task Force on "Access to new DR-TB drugs.
The objectives of the meeting were:
- To follow up on recommendations made and action points agreed upon during 3rd GDI CG meeting in May 2015, and subsequent monthly teleconferences;
- To provide an update on progress in scale up of MDR-TB services and care, and updates on new policies;
- To provide an update on the Joint GDI and GLI Partners Forum, April 2015;
- To provide an update on the progress of the respective GDI Task Forces and from the Infection Control (IC) sub-group; and
- To discuss the GDI CG membership, the GDI "Costed Framework Plan, 2016-2017" and the GDI workplan for 2016.
The participants were briefed about the activities of the GDI Secretariat since the third CG meeting held in May 2015. An update was provided to the CG on "progress in scale-up MDR-TB services and care, and on new policies". This was followed by a "Joint update from the GDI and the GLI" at which the members of the GLI Core Group were present for the update and subsequent discussions. The respective GDI Task Forces and the TB Infection Control sub-group presented the progress and the activities in their respective areas to the GDI CG. A final session then discussed the "GDI CG membership, the GDI Costed Framework Plan 2016-17, GDI funding and workplan for 2016".
All meeting documents can be found at the " Meetings" tab."